Last week on Friday- I am trying to decide what to use as a base for the collage. I have some huge old canvases left over from a show and a few odds and ends, but I’ve been leaning towards an old Andy Warhol car print I bought years ago at IKEA for one of my boy’s rooms. I don’t want to tear it up. I want to save it, preserve it like it was. Cherish it. Hold onto it. It will be a piece of their child hood to preserve forever. That’s crazy. Nothing is preserved forever. I need to remake it. I am entertained thinking of Obama’s speech last Tuesday. “It’s time to put away childish things.” I write it on a post it note and stick it to the print. It fits, space wise. Does it fit theory wise? "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." -- First Corinthians 13:11. And then the speech. "We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things." -- U.S. President Barack Hussein Obama.
The old framed poster, it’s a childish thing. Left over from a childhood. What about knowledge and theory? Are they childish things? The verse from First Corinthians may speak of simplicity and then once matured, complexity. Are the theories that we are studying childish things? Are they trying to simplify complexities so that we may understand them as children? Are they toys? Are the real things, the narratives too complicated?
I put the post it note on the canvas with the quote from Obama. It’s not enough. I’ll stamp in on later.
No comments:
Post a Comment