I was trying to create an image that would (1) encompass the business model of conflict resolution that Kahane (Solving Tough Problems) has developed and (2) demonstrate that he seems proud of the model he’s created. Thus, I have the series of men lined up in boxes with the Dilbert characters walking around holding coffee cups as the leader in the foreground seems pleased. As I worked on the image I felt like I needed to add something organic, perhaps the influence of Betty Flowers. So I added the organic, sinuous lines. I found this background which makes it look like the whole thing is in a fish bowl. I like the image and wonder if it also might contain some remnants of Berreby’s human “kinds.”
Thursday
Lining up for peace
I was trying to create an image that would (1) encompass the business model of conflict resolution that Kahane (Solving Tough Problems) has developed and (2) demonstrate that he seems proud of the model he’s created. Thus, I have the series of men lined up in boxes with the Dilbert characters walking around holding coffee cups as the leader in the foreground seems pleased. As I worked on the image I felt like I needed to add something organic, perhaps the influence of Betty Flowers. So I added the organic, sinuous lines. I found this background which makes it look like the whole thing is in a fish bowl. I like the image and wonder if it also might contain some remnants of Berreby’s human “kinds.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like this - it reminds me of a colleague... a trainer here at the UNHCR who HATES CIRCLES and any kind of sinuous lines. Everything she draws contains boxes and hard edges. She was presenting an image of heirarchy within a refugee camp - with men at the top of the ladder - closest to resources and how those with "less power" had to jump over all of the others with power to obtain resources.
ReplyDeleteI suggested that an alternative reality could be that all could be depicted with equal opportunity to access resource (ah... she just walked by!). So show resources at the center of a circle -and men, women, boys, girls disabled, etc. at equidistant points around that circle. Then, show by a number of sinewy lines, or thickness of sinewy lines - the CURRENT ability to access the resources of each group.
She was VERY upset at this - and kept pointing to the ladder/boxes saying - BUT THIS IS THE REALITY! I couldn't convince her that it was HER reality and that if you rethink to envision all with possibility for access... maybe she could approach enabling their skills... etc. in a more interesting way. And then - when those who don't have power or resources gain more - they don't have to knock others off the ladder!!!
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! She was having none of it!!